Tuesday, February 28, 2006

pretty sister, ugly sister

It was pouring rain in Nappa Valley yesterday. The sky had a sci fi yellowish tint to it. We laughed our heads off on the drive up, swooshed glasses and smirked our way through pretentious sounding wine lingo. Had a beautiful lunch & drove back down. The sky turned a bit gray along with my mood. Wicked rainstorm hangover & had to sing over the pounding in my head. Ive made many bold escapes this past month. Flew all the way to Maui with the birds & came home as pale as a non organic, factory farmed white assed egg. Did get a couple new freckles though & managed to get the whole island playing pretty sister, ugly sister. The most beautiful day was the day we left, all glassy eyed, already romanticizing the memories, we spotted a rainbow from behind the glass of the airport window. I love my ladybirds more than anything. More then salt & vinegar chips & trampolines or watching Jake & Heath get it on in Brokeback Mountain. [Weird? those were honestly the first three things that popped into my head.] And as I flew back into our time zone, I had just enough time to do my laundry & fly right back out. LA was LA. Had a very romantic drive up the coast & stayed in Monterey where my parents honeymooned as teenagers 43 years ago. California holds such a strong family history for me that I always find myself quietly writing songs when traveling through these parts. The imagery is endless. Winding roads flooded with a heavy fog, beach littered with lazy fat seal yelping at the sky, Big Sur sunset. Theres been nothing dreary about this February, my least favorite month of the year. And Im actually happy and a bit relieved to just be home now. I need to briefly hibernate in familiar surroundings & maybe feel one last chill to remind me that I am indeed Canadian, before spring arrives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home